1.) Love the Lord your God with all your heart, soul and mind. Love your neighbor as yourself.
“Teacher, which is the greatest commandment in the Law.” Jesus replied, “Love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all of your mind. This is the first and greatest commandment. And the second is like it: “Love your neighbor as yourself.’ All the Law and the Prophets hang on these two commandments.” (Matthew 22:36-40 NIV)
These are in reality two. It is a basic fact that our first priority is to love God with everything in our being. It is also a fact that if we do not love Him with our whole heart, we cannot love our neighbor (our students) as ourselves. If we are not secure in our relationship with Him, we will not have anything to give to our students. Biblical love means we are willing to lay our lives down for our students. (John 15:13)
2.) Build relationships based upon mutual respect and trust.
We have learned the hard way over the years that the ministry to the students will be an overflow of the respect and trust we build amongst ourselves as staff and volunteers. Based on our respect for each other we do not allow gossip, complaining or backbiting.
We protect each others reputation. We must also love the truth and not be afraid to speak the truth in love. (Ephesians 4:15)
3.) Love expects the best of the other person.
In I Corinthians 13 we see clearly how love ALWAYS expects the best of the other person. Love goes the distance. It is not easily offended or hold grudges. We are not jealous of another’s gifts or abilities. We will defend each other from any attack on their character. We have made this core value known by giving each staff member a copy of this scripture in a frame to keep in their office. (I Corinthians 13:4-7 Living Bible)
4.) Conduct all of our efforts at Teen Challenge in honesty and integrity.
There is a tremendous deficit of character and integrity in our nation today, in business, politics and even in the ministry. No longer does the term “my word is my bond” apply. Cutting corners and taking short cuts is the order of the day. We have replaced “charisma” and “personality” for character. At Teen Challenge, we determine to set and live by a higher standard. We are stewards of all that He has entrusted to us. That means our finances as well as our time. We covenant together with each other to use both faithfully.
(Hebrews 13:5, I Timothy 2:2, I Timothy 2:24-25)
5.) Give God all the Glory!
As human beings, we will never arrive at perfection in this lifetime. But we do not use that as an excuse for known sin to continue in our lives. We must always be unafraid to set an example for those we desire to impact for the cause of Christ. When lives are changed as a result of the ministry of Teen Challenge, we will give God all the credit. (Psalm 100)
Statement of Faith
- We believe the Bible to be the inspired, the only infallible, authoritative Word of God.
- We believe that there is one God, eternally existent in three Persons: Father, Son and Holy Spirit.
- We believe in the deity and humanity of Christ, in His virgin birth, in His sinless life, in His miracles, in His vicarious and atoning death through His shed blood, in His bodily resurrection, in His ascension to the right hand of God the Father, in His present rule as Head of the Church and in His personal return in power and glory.
- We believe in the blessed hope – the rapture of the Church at Christ’s coming.
- We Believe the biblical order for human sexual expression as being between one man and one woman who have committed to a lifelong marriage covenant (Gen2:24, Matt. 19:5). Any expression of human sexuality outside of the marriage covenant between one man and one woman is sin (Ex. 20:14; Lev 18:22-23, 20:13; Matt 15:19). God wants us to avoid sexual immorality and live holy and honorable lives of faithfulness.
- We believe that the only means of being cleansed from sin is through repentance and faith in the precious blood of Christ.
- We believe that for the salvation of lost and sinful men/women, regeneration by the Holy Spirit is absolutely essential.
- We believe in the present-day ministry of the Holy Spirit, by Whose indwelling the Christian is enabled to live a godly life.
- We believe the redemptive work of Christ on the cross provides healing of the human body in answer to believing prayer.
- We believe the baptism in the Holy Spirit, according to Acts 2:4, is given to the believers who ask for it.
- We believe in the resurrection of both the saved and the lost – they that are saved unto the resurrection of life and they that are lost unto the resurrection of damnation.
- We believe in the spiritual unity of believers in our Lord Jesus Christ, with equality across racial, gender and class differences.